As chefs, we are creative when it comes to planning menus, adding fancy garnishes and presenting our food. But not all of us are creative in the sense of coming up with new ideas for our business or new ways to market ourselves. Creativity might come more easily to some people, but I want to suggest some ways that will increase your creativity and help you start thinking outside of the box.
This is of course in hopes that your ideas will attract more customers!
- Find a Creative Space- I’ve mentioned before to have a quiet place that is all your own. I have a giant whiteboard in my laundry room where I put all of my ideas and no one bothers me there (because apparently no one does laundry at my house!). Do you keep it tidy or is it full of visual noise that will distract you?
- Do Something New- Start a new hobby, join a yoga class or do something that goes against your regular routine. Do the same thing day in, day out does not leave room for that creative spark to ignite.
- Step Outside- There is nothing like a little fresh air that can help us feel renewed and rejuvenated. I like to sit out on my porch in my special chair. I have an amazing view and it helps me reconnect with myself. Get out of the kitchen for awhile!
- Exercise- It is proven that exercise loosen ups the mind. Research has shown that those with exercise regularly tend to do better on creative tasks rather than those who do not exercise regularly. I started a gym membership late last year, and I can’t tell you how much better I feel both physically and mentally throughout the day.
- Write Down Your Ideas- If you’re like me, certain ideas come to you at the most random times. Make sure you have a notebook and pen on hand to write it down as soon as it comes to mind. Too often we come up with a great idea and then forget what it was because we didn’t document it. Write, write, write!
- Spend Time Alone-There is such a thing as getting TOO much input from others. You start to lose your own opinion and thoughts. Spend some time in “isolation” away from others’ influence and that will allow you to think for yourself.
- Look for Inspiration- On the other hand, don’t be afraid to ask people for their ideas. We do that all the time in our Mastermind calls with the chefs in my Master and Private Chef Coaching Programs.. We brainstorm ideas together. Two heads are better than one!
- Let Go of Perfection- The beauty of brainstorming is that it doesn’t have to be perfect. Forget about coming up with ideas that are perfect and have all the details. That is not important. It hurts your creativity when you rule out ideas that might not make sense right away. Be open minded!
- Positive Attitude –Having a positive attitude can do wonders! When you are negative, you are quicker to rule out ideas and doubt yourself.
- Listen to Music- Listening to music is a fun way to boost your creativity because it loosens your mind and helps you relax. You can never force creativity, so when you are relaxed you are more likely to come up with amazing ideas!
These might seem trivial, but these are ways that psychologists and other professionals suggest as a way to boost your creative thoughts. Try some of these and see how it helps you! I know some of these have helped me immensely. I solve so many problems sitting on my chair on my porch.