To celebrate 1 billion users, Instagram launched a stand-alone video platform in June called IGTV. This platform/feature allows you to post longer videos that don’t disappear after 24 hours like Instagram stories do.
I know what you’re thinking. “I barely post on Instagram and IG stories, now I have to worry about ANOTHER platform?!” While it can be a bit overwhelming to keep up with all the changes, it’s another way to get your food products/services out there and that makes it all worth it, right? Plus, it’s free so can we really complain?
To save you some time, I thought I’d break down what IGTV is and how you can use it to your advantage!
IGTV is a new app created by Instagram, but also a feature that is built into your regular IG app. You can use it either way. You can create your own “TV” channel and upload videos. Think of it as a hybrid between Youtube and Instagram Stories.
With IG Stories you can only upload 15-second videos at a time, but with IGTV you can upload videos that are up to 15 minutes long. Larger and verified accounts can upload hour-long videos. I’m hoping that soon us “little people” will be able to upload longer videos too!
To create an IGTV channel, just follow the easy instructions from this article:
- Click on your avatar (from the main page) which will take you to your account.
- Click the “+” in the right hand corner to add a new video.
- Select a vertical video from your camera roll.
- Add in your title and description. Note: just like when you upload a video to YouTube or write a blog you want to utilize relevant keywords. Same goes for IGTV, make sure your videos are “searchable” by adding in some powerful keywords.
- Link your video to an external page. Think of all the possibilities. You could link to your website, a gallery, your portfolio or even your online store.
- Create a thumbnail for your video so your channel stays neat and organized.
- Hit that post button and you’re all set.
- After you’ve done a well deserved celebratory dance, check your IGTV stats: click on the “…” button next to the like, comment, share section. From here, select “View insights”. Now you will be able to gain access to information such as: number of views, likes and comments.
Why use IGTV?
- It’s another way to use video in your marketing (research shows that video is more effective than images or even blog posts!)
- It builds trust and connection with your audience when they can see your face
- Not everyone is using it yet, so it will help you stand out from your competitors
- Gives you an opportunity to get really creative – you can showcase your meals, show people different ways to use your food products, educate your audience, entertain them with cooking demos and more!
Here’s a great video tutorial on how to use it for your business!