There are a several questions you need to ask before hiring a web designer. Having owned five culinary businesses, I’ve had to hire a web designer on many different occasions. I’ve gone through a lot of websites updates and complete re-designs. Nearly all of the chefs in my upper level coaching programs have also gotten brand new websites and have had to hire a web designer. What many people don’t realize is that websites are a living, breathing thing. You don’t just create a website and then let it sit for a year. Your offerings might change, your logo might outdated or you simply want something new, which requires that you constantly work on and improve your website. Since (most) chefs aren’t web designers, I always suggest hiring a professional. For most chefs, finding a good web designer can be a daunting task in and of itself. So don’t let yourself be taken advantage of and miss out on important questions that you need answered from the get go. it can be easy to be taken advantage of though. To make sure you get what you need and that you’re happy with the end product, I’ve compiled a list of questions that you need to ask prospective web designers, in no particular order.
Questions Regarding Their Past Work:
- How long have you been designing websites?
- How many websites have you designed?
- Where can I view past websites you’ve created?
- How have your clients’ websites performed against the competition?
Questions Regarding What They Offer:
- How long will it take you to build the website?
- Do you also do logo design? (as that is often needed when a website is being redone, but not always)
- Will you write the copy for the website?
- Will you optimize my site for SEO? Will you install the Yoast plugin?
- Will you place Google Analytics on my site?
- What platform will the site be built on (WordPress is usually best)
- Will you provide images for the site or am I expected to?
- Will I own the domain name and website?
- Will you create a blog page?
These are just a few of the questions that need to be asked. There are actually quite a few that are important to discuss BEFORE you hire a web designer. If you are a member of either my Executive, Master or Private Chef program, you are then given a login to our membership site full of dozens of documents like these with great resources and information to help you grow your culinary business.
Learn more about these memberships and get the full list of questions here: https://www.chefdeb.com/executive-chef-program/
When you are investing so much money into a project, you want the results to be satisfactory, and they won’t be if you haven’t properly communicated your expectations. Another reason why you need to ask several questions before hiring a web designer, is because you need to be clear on what they do and don’t offer. Ideally, you want to have a few different web designers that you “interview” essentially. Asking the right questions will allow you to pick the best candidate and thus the best website for your needs!